Thursday, April 16, 2009

Practicum Evaluation

When I first declared my major, here at Indiana Wesleyan as a “youth ministry major”, I had no idea, or any knowledge of what a practicum really was. When I heard that I had to do one, I was a little shocked, especially when I heard that we had to find a church, in Marion, in which I’ve never been in before. This semester was my first semester at Indiana Wesleyan. And the fact that really made me nervous was that we had to get 40 hours in this church, this semester.
I called up a church, First Christian Church of God, and I jumped on that. I went in to talk to the youth pastor, Jeff Brady and he was a very nice guy, very pleasing and had a great sense of humor. He told me that the church was in a growing state, and the youth group was a very small size, on a good Sunday, five to be exact. That fact, kind of scared me because I had expectations to be involved with a big youth group and I didn’t really know how I felt about a super small youth group. I have always enjoyed bigger youth groups, but I just told myself that God did this for a reason, and wanted me to be involved with this church.
The services were very mundane and were mostly hymns and very slow piano driven music nothing is wrong with that, it was just a slow moving church. The congregations average age was 65 and tradition was a major part of the worship, the age and the generation reflected that.
So all in all, I had a good experience with my first practicum. I would give myself an average rating and I learned a lot. the slow services were a good change from the average mandatory chapel at Indiana Wesleyan. I’m very thankful that I had the opportunity to do this practicum.

No comments:

Post a Comment